Looking for some mid-year inspiration to guide your business through the rest of 2021? Some of the world’s most prominent businesspeople and thought leaders have uttered titbits of knowledge that every entrepreneur and small business owner can use every day.
1. “And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” – Anaïs Nin
Every entrepreneur knows how much rumination is done before they ultimately take the plunge and start a business. A hunger for change is usually the last push they need.
2. “Almost everything worthwhile carries with it some sort of risk, whether it’s starting a new business, whether it’s leaving home, whether it’s getting married, or whether it’s flying into space.” – Chris Hadfield
Retired astronaut Chris Hadfield knows what he’s talking about. Of course, every venture comes with some risk, but business moguls are risk-takers of note.
3. “Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.” – Henry David Thoreau
The philosopher Henry David Thoreau hits the nail on the head – staying busy is key to attaining success in business.
4. “There’s no shortage of remarkable ideas, what’s missing is the will to execute them.” – Seth Godin
Great ideas are nothing if they aren’t put into action.
5. “Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill
Churchill knew that quitting is never an option, and his reflections on courage still ring true today.
6. “Every problem is a gift – without problems we would not grow.” – Anthony Robbins
Indeed, every challenge leads to personal and professional growth.
7. “Business opportunities are like buses, there’s always another one coming.” – Richard Branso
Even when one opportunity passes or doesn’t work out, entepreneurs know where to look for others.
8. “Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” – Will Rodgers
Taking action is crucial if any venture is to succeed, no matter how good the idea.
9. “Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions.” – Albert Einstein
Entrepreneurs are often hailed for their imaginative qualities. When you think of the things you imagine for your business as a preview of the good things to come, those things are much more likely to become a reality.
10. “Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t, you’re right!” – Henry Ford
A lot of our struggles are in our minds.
11. “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” – Albert Schweitzer
Albert Schweitzer touches on something very important. If you’re happy doing what you’re doing, the chances of success are far greater.
12. “I feel that luck is preparation meeting opportunity.” – Oprah Winfrey
We love this quite by the queen of talk, Oprah Winfrey. When these two factors come together, business owners can take full advantage of their luck.
13. “Yesterday’s home runs don’t win today’s games.” – Babe Ruth
Business owners should always remember that past successes (or failures) have precious little to do with what happens today.
14. “The best investment is in the tools of one’s own trade.” – Benjamin Franklin
Successful business owners know how to use the skills they’ve accumulated from a lifetime worth of experience to reach the goals they’re aiming for now.
15. “Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you’re going to do now and do it.” – William Durant
William Durant sums it up nicely: what’s most important is to just do the thing.